As the name conveys Shilp plus gram, Shilp is art, while gram means a village. So, Shilpgram is rightly known as the ‘village of artisans’. It is the most wonderful place to find the various forms of arts and crafts representing the traditional Rajasthani culture.
Shilpgram is covering vast acres of land and Aravali hills around it. Shilpgram is at a distance of 3 Kms from Udaipur city. Here’s the link for your reference: Google Map directions of Shilpgram
In our visit to Udaipur, we found Shilpgram as the most colourful place, representing a perfect blend of folk culture, history, heritage and the power of artisan skills.
Timings to Visit Shilpgram
Shilpgram remains open all days of the week.
- Timings: 11 AM to 7 PM.
Haat Bazaar in Shilpgram gets open at noon daily.
- For Indian adults - Rs. 30/-
- For Kids - Rs. 15/-
- For Foreigners - Rs. 50/-
Best Month to visit Shilpgram
Although Shilpgram is visited in any month around the year and the Shilpgram Utsav takes place in the month of December. The famous Shilpgram Utsav is celebrated in the last ten days of December, i.e. 21st December to 30th December. So, if you are thinking to plan a visit to Udaipur, then don’t forget to add it in your checklist.
A Quick Look Inside the Shilpgram Utsav
We were lucky enough to witness the Shilpgram Utsav as it was the inauguration day of it. And it was grand!
It was absolutely a treat to the eyes to enjoy the live performances of artists presenting different states’ dance styles in a grand open-air amphitheatre in the Shilpgram premises itself.
Some of the pictures represent the glimpses of the live performances of the artists belonging to various different states as shown below.
And of course, we cheered louder, when it was the turn of Haryana Artists performance.
Talking more about the surrounding of it included several huts, giving a perfect look of typical rural markets. The different huts were representing the perfect example of Unity in diversity, demonstrating the tradition and culture of each state of India.
Little Huts Hiding the Whole Culture Inside
The ten days amazing festival offers a lot of unforgettable glimpses of rural life with various states artworks, dances, dramas, songs, and stunts. One can buy, sell and even exhibit multiple forms of art in Shilpgram. We also enjoyed every bit of it.
There are some other listed things that you can experience in Shilpgram Utsav:
- You will feel like dancing on those traditional beats around Shilpgram.
- Taste the local foods like dal bhati churma and other meals at the food stalls serving the delicious tastes.
- Turn into a storyteller by listening to the stories of artists present in the Utsav, and one can learn well with their artistic skills as well.
- You may take a feel of mini Goa as well. The beautiful shacks of Goa at Shilpgram showcase the house of a fisherman.
- Several artists sell ancient paintings, traditional footwear, ethnic bags, ethnic jewellery such as bangles, bracelets, and artificial chains etc.
- Shilpgram is the best place for people who love various forms of art pieces. In Shilpgram, you will find a large variety of handicraft items, traditional mini creatures like crafted camel, elephants, horses, etc. You can buy any of these incredible art pieces at Shilpgram.
Things to Keep in Mind While Visiting Shilpgram
- Avoid wearing uncomfortable footwears as the place covers the vast acres of land.
- Carry a water bottle with you, as exploring Shilpgram will take a long time.
- Bring a carry bag with you for carrying the shopping kind of stuff with comfort.
- Bring your camera and click the best moments through your photography skills.
I can say, in Udaipur trip, one of the best memories we carried with us was visiting Shilpgram. I hope you will also experience and enjoy the Shilpgram Utsav someday in your life. And don’t forget to share your story as well with us.
Have a Lovely Trip- Au Revoir!